Well hello Visionary!
So I am guessing you are here because you are interested in starting a coaching business. Or maybe you already have one? Either way this article should most definitely get you started.
There has never been a better time than now to get into coaching however the challenge wish most coaches is that they never get their business off the group because they have not set up their business the right way. It takes proper planning to have a successful business in any industry but most of all in coaching.
I have put together 5 things you need to make sure are in place before you even start marketing your coaching business.
1. Identify WHAT kind of coach you are and your coaching style – Believe it or not there are many different types of coaches out there. I honestly will tell you that when I first got into the coaching business, I honestly didnt even want to use the title of coach simply because coach can be so broad. However the key to this step is really identifying who you help and how you help them.
There are many different kinds of coaches. The key is to first identify where you fall. Id love to see you comment BELOW as to which type of coach you fit.
- Performance coaching – is a process where one person puts together tips on the development and action planning of another, in order that the individual can bring about changes in their lives. This is not advice giving but specific steps to take for action.
- Skills coaching – is a process where one teaches in specific areas of growth. For example, I teach entrepreneurs how to create success talks (speeches). I also teach on book writing. There are some people who coach on tools and things of that nature. I would put myself in the field of Skills coaching.
- Career Coaching – is a process where one teaches a person how to land their dream career. This includes resumes, interviews, and even advancing in the career.
- Personal or life coaching – is a process where one assist in personal areas of someone’s life. This coach counsels and encourages clients on matters having to do with careers or personal challenges.
- Business coaching – is a process where one will assist in business growth help. There can be an array of different specific topics from finances & funding to marketing to setup and more. In my courses, I do assist a bit with business coaching as well.
- Executive coaching – One to one performance coaching is increasingly being recognised as the way for organisations and individuals to improve performance. This is more for high-end coaching. One one One coaching should always be for the RIGHT client but this can be very beneficial. My coach actually charges $100,000 for her executive coaching package. This will more than likely include more than just business coaching as well.
2. Identify your USP (Unique Selling Proposition) – I found this awesome definition of USP. The unique selling proposition (USP) or unique selling point is a marketing concept first proposed as a theory to explain a pattern in successful advertising campaigns of the early 1940s. The USP states that such campaigns made unique propositions to customers that convinced them to switch brands. The challenge with identifying your USP is that many of my students have identified that this is hard because most entrepreneurs want to serve anyone. The key is to take the time to really dive down deep into this. Putting together your USP will take work. You need to know who you serve. What challenges they have. What they buy. How you can help them and more! The key here is to really take your time at it. I actually have a course for the USP alone. IT WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT STEPS YOU WILL TAKE. To learn more about the course shoot me an email by going to the CONTACT PAGE.
3. Identify how you will coach – There are different ways that you can coach your clients. For me my goal was to find ways to be most effective with as many people as I could. I have a mission to impact the lives of over 10,000,000 men and women in business. To do that, I know that I have to learn to leverage my time. So to be able to do that, I had to find a way to spread my knowledge. The trick to this is that the more specific you are with your USP the easier it is to do so. I have my online university which allows for self-study coaching. I have group calls which allow me to coach in large numbers. I also do one-on-one coaching via phone. This allows me to target specific areas of a person’s business. However what I found is that many of the information that I coach on is the same for all my students. That is because I have a NICHE market. This makes it easier for me and my students. There are many tools that you can use to help you with this as well. I share a few in another article for you guys! But the key is to figure out how you will coach. Keep this in mind, if it requires you it takes up your time. Also , nother thing Im proud about is because my market is so specific, I can also teach others how to coach on these areas as well.
- Group Calls (Live)
- Group Calls (Recorded)
- One-on-One Calls
- Online University (Videos)
- Online University (Audios)
- Face-to-Face Coaching
4. Identify how your will market yourself – Before you start marketing, you need to really create a gameplan for your marketing. I find that many coaches get burnt out because they are just throwing a lot of balls at the wall and praying that they stick. The truth is this… Those that fail to plan might as well plan to fail! You must know what your schedule is so you can be effective. So for example… If I have a goal to make $2000 per month. My coaching package is $497. This means I need to enroll 4 new clients this month. So my next step is to set up a marketing game plan. I plan my weeks on Sunday to know exactly what I am going to do. I do workshops, conference calls, webinars and more to get in front of people. I set a goal of how many people will I get in front of to make great things happen. Also, I have a goal of how many people will join my list monthly. I know that I need to get in front of more new people every single month so I know in advance how I am going to do that.
5. Grow Grow Grow – As a coach, it is important that you also schedule your own personal development. Think about it… If your goal is to impact hundreds to thousands, you are talking about a lot of people and a lot of personality types. You are dealing with people who are going to get upset with you for really no reason. No matter how great you make your program, there will be people who will be displeased. If you don’t constantly work on yourself, you will FOLD… You gotta stay strong so the key is to make sure you stay constantly engaged in growth. I listen to personal development in the morning and I also have my own personal business coach for business. There are so many different audios or books that I can refer, I think I will make an article just for that!
Anywho… I hope this helps you in some way. If you are a coach and want to learn more about my coaching program that I am launching, make sure to send me a message. My program will be launching in September of this year! However, I also believe that as a coach you should most definitely should have a book and its imperative that you know how to speak and deliver a talk that sells! I promise to continue to bring more value to you as wll.
Lets get to impacting lives!